Texas and Houston Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer
Abuse and Neglect of Vulnerable Elderly Residents
Our elderly family and friends are among the most vulnerable in society. It is disheartening when people take advantage of the vulnerability of the elderly; it is catastrophic when the people taking advantage of the elderly are the very people we pay and trust to take care of them. In some cases, elder abuse or neglect is an intentional and malicious act on the part of those caring for the elderly — there is no excuse and no justification for this. In other cases, the staff and all of the caregivers in a facility are doing everything they can, but budget cuts and lack of resources can leave a nursing home or other elder care facility understaffed. Other instances of neglect and abuse result from inadequate screening and training of personnel.
Some of the results of elder abuse and negligence include:
- Bedsores and Pressure Ulcers — skin and tissue injuries that arise from extended periods of pressure on one area, usually resulting from inadequate movement on a regular basis.
- Dehydration and Malnutrition — serious illnesses resulting from inadequate provision of food and water.
- Physical and Sexual Abuse — health care workers, staff and other personnel taking advantage of the vulnerability of elderly residents.
- Medication Errors — visiting doctors or health care professionals on staff can make errors that prove disastrous for residents.
- Financial Exploitation — nursing home staff, through residents' dementia or through outright intimidation, may force their way into patients' wills or bank accounts.
Inadequate Regulation of the Nursing Home Industry
Although the elder care industry is strictly regulated, the fact is that elder abuse and neglect are rampant in nursing homes, assisted living facilities, home health care services, and other elderly care institutions. It has been suggested that elder abuse or neglect has occurred in up to one-third of all nursing homes. The vast majority of nursing homes have employed at least one convicted criminal, and the staff-to-resident ratio is far too high in a number of nursing homes.
When an injury or illness results from negligence and abuse in nursing homes, the victims and their families deserve to be compensated.
Contact Gilde Law Firm ∙ Nursing Home Injury Attorney ∙ 877-309-4613
At Gilde Law Firm, we represent clients in Houston, Dallas/Fort Worth and San Antonio and throughout Texas and the United States who have been victimized by nursing home abuse and negligence.
We Believe | We Fight | We Win
- We Believe: If you or a loved one has suffered from bedsores, malnutrition, or sexual or physical abuse from nursing home caregivers, you need someone to hear your story and believe in your case.
- We Fight: Our founding attorney, Brad Gilde, has the background and experience handling adversarial litigation. We will fight for your cause.
- We Win: We will work to obtain full and fair compensation for the illnesses and injuries you have suffered as a result of nursing home negligence.
Contact a Texas City Nursing Home Neglect Lawyer
Q: Have you or a loved one been injured as a result of nursing home abuse or neglect?
A: If you answered YES to this question, don't delay. Call us immediately.
Call 877-309-4613 or send us an e-mail to arrange a free initial consultation with an experienced trial lawyer. For the convenience of our Spanish-speaking clients, we have staff that is fluent in Spanish and available to speak with you. Hablamos Español.