Injured In An Accident? You May Have A Personal Injury Case
No one plans on initiating a personal injury lawsuit, but the unfortunate truth is that accidents due to negligence happen every day. Once someone is injured in an accident through no fault of their own, they may wonder if they have legal recourse for the damages they have suffered. Fortunately, under Texas laws, a person who has suffered an accident of negligence can bring a personal injury lawsuit in court. However, the legal process is complex, as are the laws that govern Houston personal injury lawsuits. Therefore, it is helpful to reach out for legal help when initiating a Houston personal injury case.
What is a “Personal Injury” Lawyer?
One of the first questions that people ask when they think about initiating a Houston personal injury lawsuit is “what type of lawyer should I look for?” This question makes sense because most people don’t regularly seek to initiate lawsuits, and, furthermore, most people don’t have a lawyer on speed dial to assist with a legal matter involving an accident. The type of lawyer that an injured person should seek out after being involved in an accident due to the negligence of another person is called a “personal injury lawyer.” A personal injury lawyer represents victims of accidents caused by negligence of other people or entities.
What Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Do?
A Houston personal injury lawyer, first and foremost, advocates for their clients to get resolution of their personal injury cases. In order to do that, personal injury lawyers have a host of duties within each personal injury case. Those duties include:
- The initial consultation – this is the first time when the personal injury lawyer hears about the injured person’s (called the “potential client”) case. The initial consultation helps the personal injury lawyer determine whether they can assist the person with their case, and it is a chance for the personal injury lawyer to discuss legal options with the potential client;
- Investigation – once the personal injury lawyer and the client decide to work together, the personal injury lawyer will investigate the client’s case;
- Filing the lawsuit – the personal injury lawyer will initiate the case by filing a legal pleading in court and serving this and other necessary initiating documents on the other side;
- Discovery – the investigation does not end once the case is filed. Once the case is filed, the personal injury lawyer can request information, including statements and documents from the other side. The personal injury lawyer can also examine witnesses through depositions;
- Mediation – in some cases, resolution can be reached through direct negotiations. Furthermore, in most Houston personal injury cases, mediation is required. Mediation is a meeting involving direct negotiations between the injured person and their lawyer and the party who caused the accident and their counsel;
- Litigation – if parties are not able to reach an agreement to resolve the case through mediation or direct negotiations, then the parties continue to litigate the case through trial.
How Much Does a Houston Personal Injury Lawyer Cost?
How Houston personal injury lawyers charge their clients typically depends on the law practice. Some personal injury lawyers charge hourly and may require a retainer, and some lawyers work on a contingency arrangement, meaning “no fee, no recovery.” The Houston personal injury lawyers at the Gilde Law Firm, for example, work on a contingency fee agreement.
How Do I Find a Houston Personal Injury Lawyer?
The experienced Houston personal injury lawyers at the Gilde Law Firm offer a free and confidential consultation, and, as mentioned, only get paid if they settle your case or win. Contact the Gilde Law Firm today for your free and confidential consultation to share your story and to see if they can help.