Houston Construction Zone Accident Lawyer
Construction projects are ever-present in the city of Houston and construction workers know the dangers they face on the job every day. Construction zone accidents are some of the most serious and if you have been hurt, the impact of your injuries may stay with you for weeks, months, and even years. During this difficult time, you need a Houston construction zone accident lawyer that will work as your legal advocate and help you recover any damages you deserve.
Types of Construction Zone Accidents
Construction zones contain many hazards, and many of these can cause serious injury or fatality. If you work in the construction industry, it is important to know the most common types of accidents that occur in these areas. These include:
- Burns: Construction workers often have to operate heavy machinery and equipment while maneuvering many different wires and power sources. When these are mishandled, it can cause a fire that results in burns. Chemical spills and electrical fires can also cause serious burns.
- Motor vehicle accidents: Construction zones use many different vehicles and these are no more immune to being involved in a crash than any other type of vehicle.
- Crane accidents: Crane accidents are not as common as other types of construction zone accidents, but when they occur, the results are usually catastrophic.
- Electrocution: The power supply should always be cut off when people are working in a construction zone, but that does not always happen. When workers come into contact with electricity, they could suffer an electrocution.
- Toxic exposure: Construction workers are sometimes exposed to dangerous chemicals and other materials, such as asbestos, that can cause serious injury.
Unfortunately, the above are just a few types of accidents construction workers are at risk of becoming involved in every day when they go to work.
Workers’ Compensation vs. Negligence Claims
Many construction workers know that they can often claim workers’ compensation benefits after an accident on a site. However, this is not always the case. You can only claim workers’ compensation if you were performing duties within the scope of your employment, and the negligent party was associated with your employer, such as a co-worker.
If the negligence of a third party caused your accident, you will have to file a personal injury claim. For example, if you were hurt by a piece of defective equipment, you would have to file a personal injury claim against the manufacturer. They are not associated with your employer and so, workers’ compensation would not apply.
Our Construction Zone Accidents Lawyers in Houston Can Advise You of Your Legal Options
It is not always easy to determine whether you should file a workers’ compensation claim or personal injury claim after suffering a workplace injury. At Gilde Law Firm, our Houston construction zone accidents lawyers will review the facts of your case and advise you of your legal options so you can claim the full compensation you deserve. Call us today at 800-973-3106 or fill out our online form to schedule a free consultation.